Tuesday 17 March 2015

The Modern Classroom

The world we are apart of today, is not the same world that in service teachers learnt in. We live in a time where globalisation is a part of every day life, and the collective knowledge of the human race is at out finger tips (even if you can't trust everything you read of Wikipedia).

Traditional education is slowly being superseded by a new era of technology based learning styles. I graduated in 2012, where for the school I was apart of ICT was a class and not a huge part of the normal classroom. I remember carrying around two or three textbooks everyday because we were to "old" to receive laptops and be able effectively use them in the classroom.

Before going into huge depth, its important to understand that there is shortcomings to the technology that we use in the classroom. Some shortcomings can be such things as:

  • Broken laptop
  • Network failure
  • Kids may not have access at home
  • Can cause “busy” work
  • Doesn’t always offer the same information retention as when writing into a notebook
These were some of the points that we discussed in the lecture and were the most obvious to us as pre-service teachers while we had been on our teaching practicals last year. These shortcomings though are caused by not knowing when you have used ICT's to much.

I believe that by the end of this course I will be able to successfully structure a class using ICT's to create successful educational outcomes using e-Learning. I see it as a part of the world we are growing into, and having generation Z as the target audience for these new teachings pedagogies, Education will become something new, and exciting.


3 comments:

  1. Simon, I agree with you on the "we were too old" issue. I exited school at the end of 2013, and even at that point the older grades were too old - as if we didn't need it to write the copious amounts of assessment being dumped on us?
    I think, when implementing technology, we must remember all grades, not just the newbies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very good point. As I graduated in 2012 I too was considered "too old" for the laptop program introduced into the school. I also saw there was a lot of complications with implementing the technology partially into the school that needs to be considered.
    As we become teachers I think it is important to provide one system of communication for all our students for a more effective outcome. I agree, when implementing new technologies it should be shared among all grades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a lot of great points Simon, especially in regards to the laptop issue before graduating school yourself. The shortcomings you listed are also important, as they happen far more frequently than people probably realise. Relying on technology can be a drawback if a teacher does not have a second plan in place. I also like that you gave yourself a goal in the final paragraph - it is not something I have seen on other blogs.

    ReplyDelete